Sunday, April 5, 2015

Play for Exposure

I logged on to Instagram this afternoon to find a long comment left on one of my #onmycommute photos. 




Naturally when I read it I was flattered. But the more I think about it the more perturbed I become. This is the equivalent of asking a musician to "play for exposure" or a photographer to produce work in exchange for "telling all of my friends about you." It is total crap! 

As we all know, exposure does not pay the bills. Last year a bookstore on the University of Memphis campus, a national chain store, was asking Memphis Musicians to provide entertainment for their store for exposure! Exposure is blatantly asking an artist to work for free. That is telling them that their experience, musical education, years of practice, the process it takes to write and compose a song, perfect it, load in, perform, and load out is not worth squat. 

You would not ask a lawyer to go to court on your behalf, a stylist to coif up your do, or a chef to feed you only for their education and hard work to be rewarded by praising word of mouth. I certainly hope not. 

Stop asking creative people to work for free! Just stop it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment