Sunday, April 19, 2015

Going Viral

I do not think of myself as cool. I am outspoken. I am obnoxious. I am inappropriate and have been a cussed of being vivacious. And I am proud that I am a weirdo. I am not the trendsetter I wish I could be and I am completely comfortable in myself with all of this. For some reason that confidence does wonders. This comes sometime after you turn 30 and of course by accepting yourself for who you are. 

So last week, when given the challenge to try to make something go viral I begrudgingly accepted. I am not a media darling. There is no way in hell I can making something go viral. 

With that attitude I sure am not going to make it. But I tried. 

After the staff meeting at Radio Memphis I walked into a little mischief. 



Obviously, I went for sensationalism. What the hell is he even doing?! 

I posted it to Twitter, 


to no favorites or retweets, Facebook on my personal page


 
to only one like from my coworker at Radio-Memphis and two shares, and my personal Instagram to not even find


crickets. 

The Radio-Memphis Instagram faired only slightly better with a handful of hearts and a comment: 


And the Radio-Memphis Facebook page reached 153 people for a whopping 2 likes. 

All of this began on the Memphis Famous blog post. I logged in to find 


only 68 people clocked the link to see the original post with teaser. 

Just because I sometimes post the links to "You won't believe what happens when" does not mean my readers and Radio-Memphis' listeners will click on something similar. They have higher standards than simple sensationalism. I do not have any tricks up my sleeves as to making a post go viral or anything I could have tried differently, I believe I will stick to music reviews, man on the street questions, and album releases. This "going viral" stuff is for the cool kids. I am content sitting back, having a drink, and listening to some damn fine music. 

Until the next time, y'all take another look at this little work of art that took the world by video storm this spring, recorded in Memphis at Royal Studios with Boo Mitchell 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0

No comments:

Post a Comment