Sunday, March 8, 2015

Live Event: Chinese Connection Dub Embassy with Special Guests Tank and the Bangas

Along with almost every one else in Memphis, after two days of being snowed in at home, I am ready to catch a charge on the people I live with or get the hell out of the house! So, when I posted on Facebook, "I need to get the heck out of this house before I lose it!" my friend and cohort in music appreciation, Tundrea Lyons comments on my Facebook,

Tundrea is my saving grace! I will be getting out of the house!

Who better to see tonight than CCDE? I have been trying to see them live for the past year and every opportunity has fallen through on my part or I have been face to face in the mist of an emergency. Even last year during Phoenix Fest I was finally going to see CCDE. They were next on stage when my partner in crime and ride, Cammy, a CCDE groupie, was pulled away to the hospital because her Dad had been in a car wreck. I thought seeing CCDE was just not going to be in the cards for me.

You are asking, "But what is CCDE?"

Oh, you are right. I should introduce them. CCDE, or Chinese Connection Dub Embassy, is a mix of musicians from all over the country that have met and formed a reggae band in Memphis. Omar "Jack Burton," bass guitarist and lead vocals, David "Dutch." lead guitarist and vocals, and Joseph "I-Dae Han," playing keys and vocals quite literally grew up together. That is because they are brothers known locally as The Higginses or The Higgins Brothers. CCDE is rounded out by Donnon "One Drop" Johnson on drums and vocals, Leon Richardson on the trumpet, and Terrell "Tshark" Sharkey on the saxaphone, Together, these guys are so much more than being categorized as simply Memphis Reggae. CCDE contains Rhythm and Blues, Rap, Jazz, Gospel, and Hip-Hop with undertones of Classical music combined all in one Memphis street band. They are tight with their starts and stops reminiscent of a funk band. CCDE does all of this while promoting good vibes, love, support, and community unity. And they do it well!

If that is not enough, when I speak to Memphis musicians, CCDE is known for following their mantra of unity, playing with and supporting all genres of music, and consistently listed as "who I want to play with in the future." They have built one heck of a solid reputation.

I am in definite need of cooling down and good vibes. CCDE sounds like the perfect rememdy!


I ran into friends! @bristerstreet @formsxfelicia @aztruly

A photo posted by Averill Conway (@averillconway) on

#funkeskey preparing to go live in the attic @bristerstreet #memphisfamous #memphisdoesmusic #musicbloggers

A photo posted by Averill Conway (@averillconway) on

Finally, I am going to see CCDE!

These guys do not disappoint. They open up their set with Tonya Dyson. Then, Knowledge Nick Hicks joins the band on-stage to drop some words on the packed crowd.

I am into it! The crowd is dancing. Everyone is smiling and laughing. CCDE is not hype. They bring exactly what they promise, good vibes and reggae music.






It is all fun and games until someone falls out from too much good music!

@shedrums fell the fuck out! From @ccdevibes' #goodvibes and #exquisiteeerie @juicyjims #memphisfamous #musicbloggers

A photo posted by Averill Conway (@averillconway) on




All the way from New Orleans Tank and the Bangas take the stage. Within 30 seconds of their first song the microphones stop working. Controlled chaos ensues as microphones and cables are replaced. However, Tank and the Bangas do not let faulty equipment interrupt their groove. A display of calm and impeccable artistry as the drummer, Joshua Johnson, tells the band, "Take it to smooth jazz!" The music does not stop. The upbeat funk slows to a smooth jazz, like it has always been practiced that way. Tank raises her voice to change up their set and she performs Spoken Word. Suddenly, the movie Love Jones comes to life in front of my very eyes. The crowd quiets down to hear Tank's rhymes and we are into it. Crowd members are snapping praise, others are saying, "Speak the truth, Sista!" In this moment Tank and the Bangas win the crowd.

Tank is Gloria Gaynor, Patti LaBell, Macy Gray, and Erykah Badu swirled into one neo soul extravaganza with a backing of New Orleans funk, reggae, jazz, in an upbeat rockin', soulful, uplifting thrill of perpetual motion, like riding a carousel on the first warm day of spring. Her valiant words have a sense of self-reflection that permit you to see yourself as you want to be, to make you strive to be the individual you are becoming and meant to be. Together, it all makes sense like finding a part of yourself that you never knew was missing.




Pick up CCDE's full length album on iTunes and see them live in Memphis or this summer at Wakarusa. Check out Tank and the Bangas in their local haunts in New Orleans or catch them touring Europe this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment