Saturday, February 14, 2015

Beautiful, Sexy, Loved

In the middle of the night last week, while I was on a Rx steroid high, I had a beautiful idea for my blog. I spent the wee hours of the morning private messaging 20-30 musicians.
Around 5 am J2, that's my boyfriend, woke up to the glare of my cellphone screen illuminating the bedroom. I am hovering over the damn thing like a skeevy Gollum in a gray, sweat drenched, pajama dress, with my hair disheveled and twisted around my head like a cornucopia of imagination, and the remnants of cheese toast on my breath. And he trusts me, completely!
Do you know who else trusts me without any questions asked? The handful of musicians that have responded to and followed through with the middle of the night lunacy. I feel loved! That's exactly why my eyes are welling up with emotion. I feel loved!

What is the beautiful idea for the blog you ask? Since it is February, Valentine's Day, and hugs, kisses, lovey mushy stuff is in the air I want to know what makes some of Memphis' finest musicians feel loved. So, I prompted this question, "What makes me feel beautiful, loved, and/or sexy?" Along with their responses participants submitted photographs of a specific time they felt their best. 

Jason Vawter of Away Team and Metropolitan Avenue 
"What makes me feel beautiful, loved, and/or sexy comes from knowing and accepting myself but also being appreciated by others and by appreciating others. Lately, I have started taking better care of myself physically and emotionally. I won't lie. I love the compliments I'm getting. It took self-confidence though to take the leap into a healthier lifestyle, but having a support system of friends and family, especially people who have gone through what I am going through, was instrumental to my current success in all things in my life ranging from my career in customer service to my music career and through to my personal life. It doesn't matter where you are in life. Sometimes just hearing someone say "you can do it" is all you need to get over some of your shortcomings whether those shortcomings exist or not."

You can find Jason's music for Away Team here and here. Do not forget to keep up with Metropolitan Avenue too!  

Allison Unread of Roses Unread
"What makes me feel beautiful/loved? The thing that makes me feel beautiful and loved is my self-confidence. Before I was the lead singer in a rock band, believe it or not I was a very shy individual. I wouldn't hardly speak or talk to anyone, much less sing. When I got in my first band I was a "hot mess". I wouldn't move around a lot and I was almost like a back-up singer. When that band fell apart and I realized how much it really meant to me and how heart-broken I was when I didn't have it anymore. I then started my own band. I knew it was my full responsibility to be the best I could be so something changed within me and I took charge. I've been this way ever since. I still have my downfalls but I have come a long way from the "shy girl" I once knew. My band now is called Roses Unread. It is a huge part of my life and it's what drives me to be the best I can be. One think I like best about it is finding the beauty in a metal song, and when I find it that also makes me feel beautiful."

Roses Unread is going into the studio to record their new album. If you are interested in contributing to their campaign help here.

Photo courtesy of Soul Essence Photography, taken at Earnestine & Hazel's
Aisha Raison
"I'm probably the most simple person...name brands and huge productions are nice, but if someone knows me and gets to my heart by getting in my head, I am all theirs.  A nice bottle of magnolia wine, a couple of hours fishing or even a box of chocolate cherries...I'm in heaven.  Beauty comes from within, so even if I look like my worst (like if I'm cleaning my house or working on my car), I promise you..the words and my personality needs to stand out as if I'm the queen of the ball."

Aisha Raison is a spoken word artist and an author. Aisha's latest book is Heroine Tracks

Crown Vox
"What makes me feel beautiful/ loved? I’m aware that this might be an odd answer, but I do not rely on any external source to give my beauty validation. I am very happily married, and though we love each other deeply, it isn’t my husband that makes me feel beautiful or loved. That isn’t his responsibility, nor would I want him to have that duty. My feelings of beauty and love come from within me. It’s only through loving and accepting every part of myself that I truly feel beautiful. For me, beauty doesn’t solely rely on physical attributes, but is a projection from within.  The short answer? I am what makes me feel beautiful and loved."

Check out her recently released video or on Facebook. Her new website will be launching in May or June of this year!


Photo by Aubrey Edwards
John Nemeth 
"What makes me fee beautiful, loved, and/or sexy?"
My wife makes me feel beautiful even though I am far from beautiful!
My family, friends, and fans make me feel loved, and I love them unconditionally!
My voice makes me feel sexy, and I hope it makes you feel sexy too!"

John Nemeth is currently nominated for six Blues Music Awards and touring throughout the country. Find his schedule here and catch him in concert.


Photo courtesy of Beth Hoots.
Kaci Ally of Avenging Angels
"What makes me feel beautiful/loved? Confidence is definitely the key for me to feel beautiful. I feel loved when I surround myself with positivity and like-minded people. Overall, acceptance and camaraderie keep me keeping on!"

Kaci fronts the heavy rock and metal band Avenging Angels

Self Portrait
Amy Chan of Away Team
"What makes me feel loved is when I see how my impact as an artist and a person affects the people around me. Music, in particular, is something I give as a gift to others, and in my opinion, nothing feels better than a gift well received. You feel the love. When I sing, I am able to portray feelings and emotions that are otherwise difficult for me. Its a beautiful thing when I can touch people and communicate in that way. That's why I love music. It brings people together. It can set the mood, and change the way you feel. I feel loved when people enjoy what I do."

Amy is a classically trained opera singer, a Rockstar, Pianist, and a make-up artist. In her spare time she fronts Away Team.

Self Portrait
Jad Davis
"The darkness is sexy. It touches my body and kisses the back of my neck in all the right ways." 

Jad is a model, photographer, and alternative artist. Listen to his music on Reverbnation


Gina Sposto
Gina Sposto, self portrait after a workout.
"I feel beautiful when I am taking good care of myself and living in accordance with my values. Eating healthy foods makes me feel beautiful. Weird to say but meditating, praying makes me feel beautiful. Drinking water makes me feel beautiful. I feel beautiful, too, when I can make something beautiful. 
I feel loved when I am loved... Luckily, I find love in God/The Universe and when I look at great works of art or listen to music, so I don't have to feel very alone even if I don't have a romantic love. But in terms of that, or any kind of love, I find that I am the most loved when I love myself, when I take care of myself and do the best work I can with my art, music, et cetera. When I follow my calling, I become a whole person and can receive love truly."

Gina is the voice and soul behind many Memphis bands including Greedy KidneyThe Band of OooThe Warp & The Weft, and Cougar Control Patrol

Obviously not everyone wanted to participate. The response that gave me the most chuckles said, "Love hearing that you are doing something creative and different! I'm just not into showing my nipples. I'm most comfortable and feel sexiest in the buff ;)"  

To each their own, Happy Valentine's Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment